FC4 imap server?

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sat Jul 30 17:35:08 UTC 2005

> On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 09:19:09PM -0700, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
>> I'm working on bringing up a new machine with FC4. The next challenge is
>> SquirrelMail. I see SM is installed, but it complains that it cannot log
>> in to an imap server. Looking around, I see dovecot, which I have not
>> used
>> before. Is there an FC4 specific tutorial on setting it up? I find LOTS
>> of
>> doc files, but I'm hoping one is a step by step for FC4.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Harold
>
> I got dovecot working pretty easily in FC3.  The config file is
> /etc/dovecot.conf.  Look through it and see if there's anything
> obviously not right for your installation, and then
>
>   service dovecot start
>
> If it starts happily, give it a test.  If it doesn't, check
> /var/log/messages for clues.  If it starts ok, but something doesn't
> work right, check /var/log/maillog and then edit the config file as
> required.
>
> Oh, and you'll want to
>
>   chkconfig dovecot on
>
> to assure that it comes up on the next boot.
>
> A quick search (dovecot tutorial) turned up this that might be useful:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-46540.html

Thanks for the help! I'm moving stuff from a RH8 machine and MAY have
dropped something from the /etc/passwd file (I tried to just add the
users, not just replace the file). Anyway, here's what I get:

[root at sujan sbin]# service dovecot start
Starting Dovecot Imap: Fatal: Login user doesn't exist: dovecot
                                                           [FAILED]

So, it appears I need to have a user called dovecot (I'm sure this is
buried in the documentation somewhere...). So, should I add a user
dovecot? What else should go on that line in etc/passwd?

THANKS!

Harold
(who remembered to bottom post this time!)

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com