OT: Apache and frontpage

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Tue Jun 7 20:58:32 UTC 2005

> Waldher, Travis R wrote:
>> Ok... let's get past the AACKK!!! Why would you poison your linux box
>> with that!?? Lol
>>
>> Is there a GOOD step by step tutorial on how to use the frontpage
>> extensions on the server side anywhere?  I have them loaded, I just
>> don't know how to use them and make it available for my websites.
>
> Oh, GOD!  Frontpage with Apache is a farking nightmare, Travis.  We
> used to offer it and gave it up as a real management nightmare.  I'd
> have to go back and look at my archives to give you details, but I do
> recall that each user's directory has to have the FP executables in it.
> Doing this on a virtualhost system can be horrific.
>
> Man, if I could ever dissuade you from even offering such an awful
> abomination, I'd do it.  Microsoft doesn't even support it anymore.
>
> There are literally hundreds of HTML generators out there that only need
> an FTP upload to make them live and they'll work on IE, Apache or any
> other webserver out there.  Do NOT get into this black hole.  Trust me!
> Treat it like a hotel fire...stay low and just get the hell outathere!

Come on Rick, quit beating around the bush and tell us what you REALLY
think.  8^}

Seriously, I have a client on which their ISP installed Frontpage
extensions. After we decided to upgrade their server, they decided not to
use Frontpage anymore, it was a nightmare just getting all that garbage
OFF the system. . .

Karl