Upgrade from Redhat 9 to Fedora Core 3 problem,

Leila Lappin damovand at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 22:18:41 UTC 2005

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/14/05, Bob McClure Jr
> <robertmcclure at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 06:01:09AM -0700, Leila
> Lappin wrote:

> Fedora
> system
> after I
> but the
> The

> system

> then the
> diagnostics fade
> that
> place
> anyone have
> not the

> allow
> Try a

> real
> changing a
> P4HT

> graphics.

> > > Hi Mark,
> > >
> > > Thank you for your suggestion.  I tried another
> option
> > > and exact same thing happened.  This time I
> selected
> > > to test the setup, I don't remember the exact
> wording
> > > something about media.  But it did exactly the
> same
> > > thing as when I chose to install in graphic
> mode! This
> > > is where it hangs:
> > >
> > > trying to remount root filesystem read write...
> done
> > > mounting /tmp as ramfs... done
> > > running install...
> > > running /sbin/loader
> > >
> > > I've searched through internet and found a few
> others
> > > having the same problem but I haven't found how
> they
> > > solved it.  One post says that there should be a
> pause
> > > of just 40 seconds and then I should the options
> > > select the language and so on.  Well if anyone
> else
> > > has any ideas I'll appreciate your thoughts and
> > > suggestions.
> > >
> > > Leila
> >
> > I've had several machines require the "acpi=off"
> option.  (That may be
> > the same as "noacpi" that Mark suggested.)  At
> least one other
> > required "ide=nodma".  See also
>
> I think noacpi and acpi=off are subtly different.
> Both could/should be tried.
>
> I think ide=nodma is a real good bet. I have some
> Asus Pundit-R
> machines based on the newer ATI chipsets. I cannot
> install Gentoo on
> them without using ide=nodma. Once installed I have
> DMA enabled and
> get >50MB/S from the drives.
>
> One Intel box I have fails when USB is enabled with
> FC2 or Gentoo, but
> USB works fine when I get to a real kernel at the
> end of the install.
> I could never get FC3 to load on an SiS-based
> machine I got for my son
> at Christmas time. (And which many of you helped me
> [...]

Thank you everyone for your suggestions,

I think the answer to my problem lies somewhere in
your suggestions.  But please note that my knowledge
of the Linux operating system is at an abstract
theoretical level only. Your suggestions to me sound
like algebra to a first grader.  In any case, I
checked this link
http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#install_dies,
according to this QA, it seems the problem may be
incompatibility between the USB keyboard and the
install kernel is causing the problem.  Although I
don’t understand why but I’m concluding that if I do
what they suggest I should be okay.  My question is
how do I get into bios mode and what do I need to set?
 What would that setting on or off of the “legacy USB”
 do?

And also could you please direct me where I may find
more information on the other options that you have
been mentioning, nousb noacpi nofirewire nokudzu? What
are these things and how do I set them on or off.
Please I know these are big questions and if you don’t
want to spend the time could you please direct me to
some links?  Thank you all very much again.

Leila