RHEL up2date issue

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Mar 1 17:31:04 UTC 2005

Chuck Campbell wrote:
> I've just taken delivery of two dual AMD 64 bit boxes to build a small cluster
> from.
>
> I installed and entitled each of them with RHEL 3 update 2.
>
> When I click on the up2date button, there were LOTS of things to update, which
> took some time.
>
> Unfortunately, with both boxes, I cannot update the following:
>
> bind*
> net-snmp*
> rmp*

I think you mean "rpm*" there.

> all insist that they have dependency problems and require certain libraries.
>
> all of the required libraries are present in /usr/lib64
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Dunno.  It sounds like Red Hat didn't build the RPMs correctly.  I'd see
if the RPMs made it into the cache on your system (/var/spool/up2date).
If so, then try a manual RPM command:

	rpm -Fvh bind*.rpm net-snmp*.rpm rpm*.rpm

By specifying the suspect items on the command line, rpm can do a better
job of resolving dependencies.

If it still complains, call Red Hat or bugzilla the problem.
- Life:  That which happens while you search for the remote control. -