RHEL up2date issue

Carl Reynolds redhat-install-list at hyperbole-software.com
Mon Mar 14 22:26:55 UTC 2005

Chuck Campbell wrote:

>I've just taken delivery of two dual AMD 64 bit boxes to build a small cluster
>from.
>
>I installed and entitled each of them with RHEL 3 update 2.
>
>When I click on the up2date button, there were LOTS of things to update, which
>took some time.
>
>Unfortunately, with both boxes, I cannot update the following:
>
>bind*
>net-snmp*
>rmp*
>
>all insist that they have dependency problems and require certain libraries.
>
>all of the required libraries are present in /usr/lib64
>
>What am I doing wrong?
>
>thanks,
>-chuck

I just ran into a similar problem. I don't know if it's the same as
yours because you don't state specifically what packages up2date thinks
the above packages needed. However, since you're building a 64-bit box,
up2date may be trying to install x86_64, i686, or i386 versions of the
packages. I found that up2date would tell me that a package wasn't
available and when I would do
   rpm -q <package-name>

It would list the package as installed, however, if I gave the complete
package name with the architecture appended to the end it would go and
install the same package for the different architecture and then the
other packages would install.

It might be useful for you to include a copy of the output from up2date
so we can see what problem you are having.

Carl.