dds 5 tape drive

Mitchell Gage mitchell at roweandjarman.com.au
Thu Mar 10 21:45:49 UTC 2005

Good morning,

I've just taken delivery of  a new server, and have discovered that backup
to tape isn't working. The tape drive is found in all the right messages and
logs, but a simple tar command to the tape drive gives me :

tar: /dev/st0: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes

or a command to just eject the tape from the tape drive gives me "No such
device" as follows:

/usr/local/bin : mt -f /dev/st0 eject

/dev/st0: No such device

I'm  told by IBM tech support that my IBM DDS 5 (Dat 72) tape drive is not
going to work for me under the Redhat ES 3 operating system - has anyone
else come across this ? Or is there any way around it ?

MITCHELL GAGE

IT MANAGER

Ph: (08) 8443 3337

Fx: (08) 8354 3700

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The information contained in this email transmission is confidential

and is intended only for the use of the addressee. If you are not the

named recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,

distribution, copying or use of the information is strictly prohibited

and unauthorised.

If you receive this transmission in error, please delete this email

and we request that you notify our office by telephone on

(08) 8443 3337 to advise us of this error.