dds 5 tape drive

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Mar 11 00:26:03 UTC 2005

Mitchell Gage wrote:
> Good morning,
>

> I’ve just taken delivery of  a new server, and have discovered that
> backup to tape isn’t working. The tape drive is found in all the right
> messages and logs, but a simple tar command to the tape drive gives me :
>

> tar: /dev/st0: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes

> or a command to just eject the tape from the tape drive gives me “No
> such device” as follows:
>

> /usr/local/bin : mt -f /dev/st0 eject
>
> /dev/st0: No such device
>

> I’m  told by IBM tech support that my IBM DDS 5 (Dat 72) tape drive is
> not going to work for me under the Redhat ES 3 operating system – has
> anyone else come across this ? Or is there any way around it ?

Is this a SCSI or IDE tape interface?  If it's IDE, you may have to
modprobe the "ide-scsi" module to make it appear as a SCSI device.
I won't swear to that, but since ES3 is based on the 2.4 kernel, the
ide-scsi module is still used.  ES4/FC2/FC3 on a 2.6 kernel don't use
ide-scsi any longer.
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -