I have a problem with umount (fwd)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 17 17:13:21 UTC 2005

Maria Cristina del Solar wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>None of that should be necessary either as those are normally stopped
>>by the telinit program during shutdown.  Do this command:
>>
>>	grep id: /etc/inittab
>>
>>You should get something back like "id:3:initdefault:".  The number
>>between the first two ":"s is your run level.  You should make sure
>>there are Kxx-whatever files in your /etc/rc.d/rcX.d directory (where X
>>is your run level).  Those should be executed by telinit when it changes
>>from your current run level to run level 0 (halt) or 6 (reboot).
>

> The machine starts in run level 3, of that I'm safe.

Ok, then verify that you have "Kxx-processname" files in
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d.  Note that the system will use those scripts in ASCII
sort order, e.g. K00 will be run before K01, K10 will be run before K11,
etc.  That should shut down most of your running processes--note that
syslogd is NOT shut down via that process and that's most likely where
the "/var busy" message comes from

When that's all done, the system essentially does a "kill -9" for all
other user processes.  That will definitely kill syslogd.  Regardless,
your system should shut down (or reboot) cleanly.
-  The problem with being poor is that it takes up all of your time  -