File Associations

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 23 19:10:47 UTC 2005

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having a problem with my file associations - I can't seem to get
>>> them changed.  I want to default to a different MP3 player and I've
>>> changed all the associations I can find yet it still pulls up the
>>> original player. I've even gone as far as rebooting to see if that
>>> will do it and it doesn't work.
>>>
>>> Do I need to change these as Root?
>>

>> Not as root.  If you're under Gnome, did you hit go through
>> "HatIcon->Preferences->File types and programs"?  That's where most
>> of them are.  Of course, Mozilla/Firefox have its own set under
>> "Edit->Navigator->Helper Apps"
>

> Yep, that's basically how I did it (My system got messed up when I
> upgraded Ximian so I go through System-Personal Settings-File
> Associations) but it's the same basic place. I make the changes and nada.

Did you log out and back in?  That stuff is session-based so you need to
restart the session for it to take effect.

> Anyplace deeper I can look (i.e. go right into the data file with VI and
> search and change)?

Uhm, lemme see...it's buried in a number of places.  You could try
editing ~/.gnome/application-info/user.applications and see if any of
the mime types in there affect it.
- If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate -