Setup window

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Nov 2 03:00:03 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 19:54 -0700, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Kevin Raber wrote:
>
> > brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> > > Just got home from vacation - took a lot of pictures with my
> > > digital camera.  Transfered all the jpg's to some CD's and to my
> > > hard drive.
> > >
> > > If I put the CD into the cd-drive the window opens up and
> > > displays thumbnails of all the photos - very nice.
> > >
> > > If I open up the drive with the photos on it all I get is Icon's.
> > > How do I change the settings so I get thumbnails like when I put
> > > the CD in?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Brad Mugleston, KI0OT
> > >
> > > There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
> > > understand binary and those that don't.
> > >

> > browse to the folder, then click View, As Catalog - Redhat remembers the view
> > selection, and applies it to subdirs as well.
> >
> > ktr at mtu.edu
> >
> Kevin,
>
> Thanks for the reply - Yes, I can change to Catalog and it
> changes to the Catalog view.  I'm looking at a CD right now and
> in the ICON view above each file name is a small view of the
> picture.  If I do the same thing with the drive the pictures are
> saved to I don't see the preview of the picture but an ICON of
> two mountains or something with the word JPG over the top.  I
> want to change the ICON view to show a preview of what the photo
> is.  Took over 200 photos and without having to open each one I'd
> like to know what they are as even using a long name discription
> will not really tell me which picture is which.
>
> I just can not figure out what the difference in the setup is
> between the ICON view of the CD and a drive.

Have you considered what you're looking at?  Looking at the icon view
of a CD implies that the CD is mounted somewhere (probably via the
automounter) and you're looking at a directory via the filesystem.

Looking at the icon view of a drive infers you're looking at something
in /dev (e.g. a raw device) and that's not the same as a filesystem-
aware mountpoint.  If you mounted the drive, are you sure you're looking
at it's mountpoint and not the device (e.g. "/dev/hdd").

Then again, I may have misunderstood you.

-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -