recovering read only filesystem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Nov 15 17:40:47 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 13:28 +0000, Sujitkumar Shirkar wrote:
> Hello friends
>
> We have one linux redhad system with kernel 2.6.1, and it was running fine
> for long time, because of some reasone we not able to use this system for
> last 4 months, before 4 month system was runnig fine without any problem.
> today we wanted to start system and it stoping at the startup after it
> checks for filesystem, and it prompts to press "Control+D" to continue
> (reboot) or type root password to repair filesystem. after you type root
> password it comes to "recover filesystem" prompt,
> Here it is showing file system as read only, even fstab file is empty.
> system is not going in single mode also. i tried doing e2fsck to check
> filesystem but come back with error"cant read superblock on hda3"

Then the filesystem may be corrpted beyond recovery.  Try:

	# e2fsck -y -b 32768 /dev/hda3

That will force an fsck using a copy of the superblock that was created
when the filesystem was created.  There are duplicate superblocks at
multiples of 32768 (65536, 98304, 131072, etc.)

-  BASIC is the Computer Science version of `Scientific Creationism' -