Net connection Problem

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Wed Nov 30 02:08:39 UTC 2005

> > > OK, I've looked in the PINE setup and I don't see where I've
> > > selected POP3 over IMAP or how to change it to IMAP.
> >
> > Pine is an mbox reader...it doesn't do POP or IMAP.  It just reads your
> > LOCAL mailbox.  It has no concept of network operations.  You need
> > fetchmail (or another MUA) to do the actual POP/IMAP fetch into your
> > local mbox.
>
> Oops!  My mistake.  PINE didn't use to use other protocols.  The latest
> versions do have IMAP support (but not POP as near as I can see).

I think your saying that PINE does have IMAP - again I don't see
how to set it up.

Let me tell you what I think is happening.

I can open up a window where I can see the size of my
/var/spool/mail directory.  Just prior to opening PINE the file
BRAD has XX K bytes of size.  I open up PINE and it goes to 0
bytes.

Fetchmail goes out every 10 mintues and downloads my email from
comcast (and other places) and splits them up amoung different
files in /var/spool/mail.

Pine is schedule to go out every 15 minutes (that's as short of
time available) to /var/spool/mail and gets my mail (where it
puts it I don't know).

Anyway, that's what I'm seeing.

Brad