Net connection Problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Nov 30 02:33:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 19:08 -0700, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:

> > > Pine is an mbox reader...it doesn't do POP or IMAP.  It just reads your
> > > LOCAL mailbox.  It has no concept of network operations.  You need
> > > fetchmail (or another MUA) to do the actual POP/IMAP fetch into your
> > > local mbox.
> >
> > Oops!  My mistake.  PINE didn't use to use other protocols.  The latest
> > versions do have IMAP support (but not POP as near as I can see).
> >

> I think your saying that PINE does have IMAP - again I don't see
> how to set it up.

Ok, I've been looking at the pine web site and my old ideas about pine
are way off.  It does support POP (well, starting with pine 4.x) as well
as IMAP.  It's based on the c-client code that makes up the UW mail
system (remember uw-imapd and the like?).

All of the configuration on a per-user basis is in your ~/.pinerc file.
You can do configuration work by hitting "S" (setup) followed by
"C" (config) when you're in the main menu.

> Let me tell you what I think is happening.
>
> I can open up a window where I can see the size of my
> /var/spool/mail directory.  Just prior to opening PINE the file
> BRAD has XX K bytes of size.  I open up PINE and it goes to 0
> bytes.
>
> Fetchmail goes out every 10 mintues and downloads my email from
> comcast (and other places) and splits them up amoung different
> files in /var/spool/mail.
>
> Pine is schedule to go out every 15 minutes (that's as short of
> time available) to /var/spool/mail and gets my mail (where it
> puts it I don't know).
>
> Anyway, that's what I'm seeing.

Generally, pine creates the ~/mbox file, but it's in mbx format (not
Berkeley mbox format).

This is all available from this link:

	http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/

- Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3--not even for large values of 2. -