kernel panic (maybe a stupid question)

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 30 14:56:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:45:24AM -0300, bigodines - wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> I was running RH Enterprive v3 and I then I tried to
> migrate to the version 4. Ok, I'm not a linux expert
> (I'm just a regular desktop user that just started
> with this server stuff). Instalation went well, no
> errors at all. So, after reboot, I still have two
> options to choose (one is the kernel with SMP and the
> other is the 'regular' kernel).
>
> If I choose the kernel with SMP, the system works OK
> (well I didn't tested everything, but at least it
> starts and give me no errors)
>
> If I try to enter using the kernel withou smp, I've
> something like:
>
> "Creating root device
> mkrootdev: label / not found
> mount: error 2 mounting ext3
> mount: error 2 mounting none"
>
> Probably this is a totally newbie question... but I
> really don't know what to do to fix this problem.
>
> BTW: Before this try to upgrade, everything was
> working well.
>
> Best Regards,
> Matheus

Hmm.  I presume both kernels should be using the same filesystem for
/.  I'd look at /boot/grub/grub.conf and see if there are differences
in the stanzas for both kernels, in particular the "root=..."
parameter in the "kernel" lines.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace at any price is inflationary.