Any tutorials/fundamentals, advice needed

Janis Ozolins janis.ozolins at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 5 15:24:32 UTC 2005

Rick Stevens wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 12:05 -0500, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
>

>>On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 10:09:41PM +0530, Bharadwaj wrote:
>>

>>>Good Evening Every body,
>>>
>>>1) I am working as QA Engineer,I want to leran Linux , Can anybody tell any
>>>best practices to learn Linux..
>>>Any Good websites / tutorials/ ebooks/ mailing lists.
>>>

>>First and foremost, The Linux Documentation Project (TLDP):
>>
>>http://en.tldp.org/
>>
>>in particular, the guides
>>
>>http://en.tldp.org/guides.html
>>
>>For particular parts of Linux, look at the HOWTOs.
>>

>I'd also recommend you get a couple of books, such as the O'Reilly book
>"Linux System Administration" and Sams' "Linux Unleashed".

Here I absolutely agree all O'Reilly books are really easy
understandable. Also I can advice these two links what often helped me:

http://www.linuxforums.org

https://www.redhat.com/apps/support

>>>2) Daily If I spent 2 hours do u think I can learn linux with in 6 months.
>>>let us say  a level of (4 out 10)
>>>

>>Hard to say.  It depends on your familiarity with other operating
>>systems.  It's also important to have some hands-on time with Linux.
>>If you don't have a spare machine on which to install Linux, you can
>>make your Winxx box dual-boot.  See the dual-boot HOWTO and similar
>>subjects in TLDP.

About two years ago I got both copy of RH9.0 with I use constantly every
day and I'm still learning and discovering Linux possibilities.

>I agree with Bob here.  It's almost impossible to say how competent you
>will become in six months at two hours a day.  It depends on your
>learning speed, whether you can make sense out of the "alphabet soup" of
>commands, and what your desired goal is.  I've been in the computer game
>for over 30 years, the last 20 or so dealing with various forms of Unix,
>and I'm STILL learning.
>
>For the average person with a technology-oriented mind, you'll probably
>be an above average sysadmin in six months, but everyone's different.
>
>One additional thing you might consider...Red Hat Certification (or, at
>least, get their course work).
>

>>>3) Initiatly what are all areas are most importent for linux professional.?
>>>

>>Probably system administration.  And of that, installation and
>>configuration.
>>
>>Shell scripting might well be next.
>>

>Uhm, yeah.  Basic sysadmin is the first thing you should get under your
>belt (user admin, disk admin, installing/removing software, etc.).  I
>think the second thing would be scripting.  The third (and if you use
>the Linux machine as you should) would be mail administration/spam
>checking/virus checking.  Next, find the applications you intend to use
>a lot and get to know them well (e.g. apache, vsFTP, etc.).

Regards

Janis

Phone 07854636404