Any tutorials/fundamentals, advice needed

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Oct 4 17:16:26 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 12:05 -0500, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 10:09:41PM +0530, Bharadwaj wrote:
> > Good Evening Every body,
> >
> > 1) I am working as QA Engineer,I want to leran Linux , Can anybody tell any
> > best practices to learn Linux..
> > Any Good websites / tutorials/ ebooks/ mailing lists.
>
> First and foremost, The Linux Documentation Project (TLDP):
>
> http://en.tldp.org/
>
> in particular, the guides
>
> http://en.tldp.org/guides.html
>
> For particular parts of Linux, look at the HOWTOs.

I'd also recommend you get a couple of books, such as the O'Reilly book
"Linux System Administration" and Sams' "Linux Unleashed".

> > 2) Daily If I spent 2 hours do u think I can learn linux with in 6 months.
> > let us say  a level of (4 out 10)
>
> Hard to say.  It depends on your familiarity with other operating
> systems.  It's also important to have some hands-on time with Linux.
> If you don't have a spare machine on which to install Linux, you can
> make your Winxx box dual-boot.  See the dual-boot HOWTO and similar
> subjects in TLDP.

I agree with Bob here.  It's almost impossible to say how competent you
will become in six months at two hours a day.  It depends on your
learning speed, whether you can make sense out of the "alphabet soup" of
commands, and what your desired goal is.  I've been in the computer game
for over 30 years, the last 20 or so dealing with various forms of Unix,
and I'm STILL learning.

For the average person with a technology-oriented mind, you'll probably
be an above average sysadmin in six months, but everyone's different.

One additional thing you might consider...Red Hat Certification (or, at
least, get their course work).

> > 3) Initiatly what are all areas are most importent for linux professional.?
>
> Probably system administration.  And of that, installation and
> configuration.
>
> Shell scripting might well be next.

Uhm, yeah.  Basic sysadmin is the first thing you should get under your
belt (user admin, disk admin, installing/removing software, etc.).  I
think the second thing would be scripting.  The third (and if you use
the Linux machine as you should) would be mail administration/spam
checking/virus checking.  Next, find the applications you intend to use
a lot and get to know them well (e.g. apache, vsFTP, etc.).

-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -