X Server problems on Fedora Core 3

John Reynolds jreyn at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 11 21:28:48 UTC 2005

Hello.

I had a system crash during an up2date session.  The GUI is a casualty.

When the system tries to boot into the GUI mode, it goes blank, puts up a
message about a failure to start : the fixed font is not found and
unix:/7100 server is not found.  I put it into text mode startup, rebooted
and tried again.

Following the advice in the RHIL FAQ, I ran

# system-config-display --reconfig

and got

xconf.py: Fatal IO error 104: (Connection reset by peer) on X server :17.0
--display=:1 xconf.py: Fatal IO error 104: (Connection reset by peer) on X
server :17.0

# Xorg -configure    got me

(screensfull of lost stuff)
(++) Using config file : "/root/xorg.conf.new"

Xorg is not able to detect your mouse.
Edit the file and correct the Device
Your xorg.conf file is /root/xorg.conf.new

To test the server, riun 'X -config /root/xorg.conf.new'

Looking into that file, there is a section

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse0"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Protocol" "auto"
        Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

There is no /dev/mouse any more.  There is a /dev/mouse0.
'system-config-mouse'  executes OK, I pick the appropriate mouse, nothing
is created in /dev.  Xorg and system-config-display come back with the
same errors.

Changing the xorg.conf.file entry to
        Option "Device" "/dev/mouse0"
gets
        Xorg is not able to detect your mouse.
        edit the file and correct the Device.

All was well before the up2date crash : the GUI was fine, the mouse was
fine.

Advice would be welcomed.

John Reynolds