X Server problems on Fedora Core 3

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Oct 11 23:45:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 14:28 -0700, John Reynolds wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I had a system crash during an up2date session.  The GUI is a casualty.
>
> When the system tries to boot into the GUI mode, it goes blank, puts up a
> message about a failure to start : the fixed font is not found and
> unix:/7100 server is not found.  I put it into text mode startup, rebooted
> and tried again.

That's the X font server not running.  Try "service xfs start".  Also
make sure you run "chkconfig --level 5 xfs on" to ensure it'll start
the next time run level 5 (GUI) is started.

> Following the advice in the RHIL FAQ, I ran
>
> # system-config-display --reconfig
>
> and got
>
> xconf.py: Fatal IO error 104: (Connection reset by peer) on X server :17.0
> --display=:1 xconf.py: Fatal IO error 104: (Connection reset by peer) on X
> server :17.0

That's odd.  Hmmm, you don't have a separate vncserver session running
somewhere, do you?  Also verify you don't have any X programs running
when you do the "--reconfig" bit (make sure there's no "gdm" or "X"
processes via "ps ax".

> # Xorg -configure    got me
>
> (screensfull of lost stuff)
> (++) Using config file : "/root/xorg.conf.new"
>
> Xorg is not able to detect your mouse.
> Edit the file and correct the Device
> Your xorg.conf file is /root/xorg.conf.new
>
> To test the server, riun 'X -config /root/xorg.conf.new'
>

> Looking into that file, there is a section
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier "Mouse0"
>         Driver "mouse"
>         Option "Protocol" "auto"
>         Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
> EndSection
>
> There is no /dev/mouse any more.  There is a /dev/mouse0.
> 'system-config-mouse'  executes OK, I pick the appropriate mouse, nothing
> is created in /dev.  Xorg and system-config-display come back with the
> same errors.
>
> Changing the xorg.conf.file entry to
>         Option "Device" "/dev/mouse0"
> gets
>         Xorg is not able to detect your mouse.
>         edit the file and correct the Device.
>
> All was well before the up2date crash : the GUI was fine, the mouse was
> fine.
>
> Advice would be welcomed.

Try changing your mouse section to something like:

Section "InputDevice"         Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

-            I'm afraid my karma just ran over your dogma            -