more keyboard please

Andrew Kelly akelly at corisweb.org
Wed Oct 12 14:26:24 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm hoping one of you knows which magic wand to wave, even
though half an hour of googling has made me rather
sceptical. Here goes at any rate...

What is the X and/or console equivalent of the good old
DOS [ALT + ASCIIcode] method of inputting characters?

I'm not a big fan of switching keyboard drivers on the fly, or
having to open a character map application to copy and paste the
occasional í,ñ,ç or whatever into what I'm writing.

I live and work in Germany, and use a standard qwertz keyboard
with appropriate drivers. But we're international in scope and I
constantly have to use several languages in correspondence.

Is there Meta key access to iso8859-1 characters, or do I have to
completely rebuild my xmodmap?

Help?

Andy