Running an application and passing a paramter to it on one of the Alt Function screens

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 12 15:34:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 09:02:25AM -0500, Sidney Abrahams wrote:
> I have a need to have my WS4 Enterprise automatically start up an
> application which requires it to have an X and a CR passed to it to execute
> it whenever my machine is rebooted. How can I do that

Assuming it runs as root, I think you should be able to do something
like this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

  echo "X" | /path/to/some/app &

> and also run the app
> in the Alt F2 screen (I am not using GUI run level i.e. using runlevel 3)?

Hmm.  I don't know how to do that.  Stuff run as suggested is not
associated with a terminal.  Why do you need that?

If you want to watch or inspect its output, just redirect it to some
file:

  echo "X" | /path/to/some/app > /some/logfile &

Then you can, from any terminal in the foreground

  tail -f /some/logfile

I have a CallerID monitor using an old modem, and I have it set up
that way.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace at any price is inflationary.