UPGRADING MY SYSTEM

Yazan Al-Sheyyab yazan at ccs.com.jo
Tue Sep 6 08:37:37 UTC 2005

Hello,

    I have an hp itanum server with ( redhat Enterprise linux AS v3 update 3 ) installed on it
   and i want to upgrade the system into ( redhat Enterprise linux AS v3 update 4 ).

   I have insalled Update 4 CDs .

   I want to reboot the system and boot from the first cd of the new update 4  , but
   what should i write in the prombt (boot:) to have upgrading my system into update 4 ??

  i tried  boot: linux updates
              boot: linux update

           but it relays into a normal installation and when reaching the disk druid option
           i choose next to leave the same partition with its data , but it says that there is no
           / partitions defined , then i formated the swap partition only and complete the installation
           but at the end , i founded that the data is ok but the /etc/hosts and /etc/fstab files has been
           changed and didnot have the original data as before upgrading.

     is there any option that i can write in the boot: prombt  that leds me into the same system but with the new update ??

    how can i do the upgrading process of the system without losting any configuration ?

 ** i have a storage and a tape library that connected to my system and partition defined in the fstab file.

     any answer please ???????

Regards

Yazan