UPGRADING MY SYSTEM

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Sep 6 16:37:34 UTC 2005

Yazan Al-Sheyyab wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I have an hp itanum server with ( redhat Enterprise linux AS v3
> update 3 ) installed on it
>    and i want to upgrade the system into ( redhat Enterprise linux AS v3
> update 4 ).
>
>    I have insalled Update 4 CDs .
>
>    I want to reboot the system and boot from the first cd of the new
> update 4  , but
>    what should i write in the prombt (boot:) to have upgrading my system
> into update 4 ??
>
>   i tried  boot: linux updates
>               boot: linux update
>
>            but it relays into a normal installation and when reaching
> the disk druid option
>            i choose next to leave the same partition with its data , but
> it says that there is no
>            / partitions defined , then i formated the swap partition
> only and complete the installation
>            but at the end , i founded that the data is ok but the
> /etc/hosts and /etc/fstab files has been
>            changed and didnot have the original data as before upgrading.
>
>      is there any option that i can write in the boot: prombt  that leds
> me into the same system but with the new update ??
>
>     how can i do the upgrading process of the system without losting any
> configuration ?
>
>  ** i have a storage and a tape library that connected to my system and
> partition defined in the fstab file.
>

>      any answer please ???????

Just boot the CD as normal (hit "RETURN" at the boot: prompt).  The
system should go through a few screens regarding keyboard and mouse
selections, then it should find the existing operating system and ask
you if you want to install a new system or update the exisiting one.
Select the "update" option.
-        Polygon: A dead parrot (With apologies to John Cleese)      -