Services Howto

Smith, Albert Albert.Smith at genexservices.com
Mon Sep 19 00:25:34 UTC 2005

________________________________

From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com on behalf of karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sent: Sun 9/18/2005 12:18 AM
To: redhat-install-list at redhat.com
Subject: Services Howto

I've been using and administering (small servers/networks) Linux since
slackware was installed on the 486 platform using a bunch of floppies.
Most of the time I've had to experiment to get the right services to start
as each PC had annoying little CMOS differences. Why Can't BIOS
Programmers Write Help Info That HELPS!?!?! Okay, that was off-topic...

In any case, I'm wondering if anyone has seen or heard of a document that
explains which services should be avoided when and etc.

Oh, and thanks to those of you who have mentioned things in passing
through the past few years I've been on the list (Rick, Bob, Kalum, etc.).

--
Karl Pearson
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst

redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com

There are the standard services like echo, chargen, and the like. The best bet is to follow the cert advisorys and run system scans. I use SARA and Bastille.

Albert Smith
Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
HPCSA, RHCT
Genex Services