Services Howto

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Mon Sep 19 01:54:59 UTC 2005

On Sun, September 18, 2005 6:25 pm, Smith, Albert said:

> ________________________________
>
> From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com on behalf of
> karlp at ourldsfamily.com
>
> I've been using and administering (small servers/networks) Linux since
> slackware was installed on the 486 platform using a bunch of floppies.
> Most of the time I've had to experiment to get the right services to start
> as each PC had annoying little CMOS differences. Why Can't BIOS
> Programmers Write Help Info That HELPS!?!?! Okay, that was off-topic...
>
> In any case, I'm wondering if anyone has seen or heard of a document that
> explains which services should be avoided when and etc.
>
> Oh, and thanks to those of you who have mentioned things in passing
> through the past few years I've been on the list (Rick, Bob, Kalum, etc.).

I apologize for missing Mark.  Second chances are few, so gotta take
advantage of them...
> ---
>
> There are the standard services like echo, chargen, and the like. The best
> bet is to follow the cert advisorys and run system scans. I use SARA and
> Bastille.

Thanks Albert. Actually that's not what I'm wondering. I've never had a
successful breakin on any system I set up. I do pretty good on the
security stuff already. What I need, if it's available, is something about
which services cause the hardware to have problems.

KLP