install Logitech pro 4000 on RHEL WS 3 ?

Guoguang Chen gchen at tom.phy.uic.edu
Mon Sep 19 16:41:35 UTC 2005

Rick,

Thank you very much for your reply. I checked the USB ID number, YES, it
is 046d:08b2.

I am using xawtv-3.92-1.rhel3.dag.i386.rpm as the
application to view the pictures. It seems the default driver works in
some way, the webcam is registered as /dev/video0, but I can not see any
good picture is displayed.
Then I tried to install pwc-9.0.2 and patch the kernel with pwcx-9.0
(from http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/), but it responded that the
pwcx-9.0 is compiled with gcc 2.0, while the kernel is compiled with gcc
3.0, which is known not to work.

And, I consulted Luc Saillard with new driver, here is his suggestion.
--------------
This version is designed to be use for much newer kernel (2.6.x). Your
kernel
2.4.21 is very old, but perhaps you can try to patch your kernel with the
patch found in this url: http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/patches/ I'm
not sure that this patch will apply for your current version.

Luc
I tried to patch the kernel with the file mentioned above, but no luck. It
still doesn't work.

Any idea?  Many Thanks.

--GC