multiple usb drives

chuck lawrence celawrence at lbl.gov
Wed Aug 16 18:54:09 UTC 2006

greetings,

I've got an interesting problem.  I've got 3 external usb drives, all
running thru a usb 2.0 pci card.  the first two (sda and sdb) are
roughly the same vintage.  the most recent addition, a year later, is a
larger, faster disk.

when I boot with them all on, the new disk wants to be sda, rather than
sdc.  I surmise this may be because it's a faster disk, and registers
first.  I was mounting volumes from the older disks in /etc/rc.local,
but now must mount manually, powering up the new disk after booting.
claerly this is less than ideal.

is this an inherent problem with multiple external usb drives?  I could
reorder the mount sequence, but it makes me a bit wary that I can't
control which disk is which.  should I not try to mount them at boot time?

adv(thanks)ance

--

  | charles e. lawrence | lawrence berkeley nat'l lab |

     "If the human body did patch management the way
      (companies do), we'd all be dead."

                www-eng.lbl.gov/~lawrence