Problem with Suspend in FC5

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Aug 16 21:38:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 16:37 -0400, jim ruxton wrote:
> I would rather disable the Suspend function if I have to live with this
> problem. Any ideas how I would disable the suspend feature if I can't
> get it to work?

These are controlled by files in the /etc/acpi directory, and are often
unique to the video chipset you have.  For example, my HP zv6000 uses
an ATI chipset, so the chip-specific scripts contain "ati" in their
names.

If you want to ignore the lid closure, then edit
/etc/acpi/events/a-lid*.conf and comment out the lines in there.  The
odds are, however, that if you edit the /etc/acpi/events/video.conf file
and UNcomment the lines in there, things will start working when you
open the lid.  That's not necessary on my zv6000 but may be in your
case.  It won't hurt anything to experiment beyond a possible reboot,
but you've done that before....:-)

> Jim
> > >I have a problem with my laptop. If I close the lid with AC power
> > > removed the machine goes into some kind of suspension mode and I can't
> > > pull it out without doing a hard power down. Any ideas how to fix this?
> > > I'm using FC5 on an HP ZD7000 laptop. Thanks!
> > > Jim
> >

> > I have a similar problem with mh HP zv something or another on FC5. FC4
> > seemed to work ok. I think what's happening on mine is the display chip is
> > being told to shut down the display, but when it comes back up, it doesn't
> > initialize it correctly. It puts big blocks of color on the screen.
> > Otherwise, it's working well. I did have to use ndiswrapper to get the
> > Broadcom wifi working. I could not get the included wifi driver working.
> > With FC4 I had to get an ATI driver for the screen, but FC5 seems to work
> > well with the included code (maybe that's the problem?).
> >
> > Harold

-   Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle.  -