Somewhat OT email addresses

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Fri Feb 17 01:54:24 UTC 2006

Jeff Kinz wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 01:29:32PM +1100, Graeme Nichols wrote:
>
>>Hello Folks,
>>
>>I know this is somewhat OT but I was wondering if it is possible to send
>>an email with an address in the following format; username@[IP address]
>>
>>I have been fiddling around because a person with whom I was writing to
>>has suddenly become unknown, possibly because of DNS failure, I'm not
>>sure, and the mail is returned undeliverable as the domain is unknown.
>>They are having the same problem sending mail to me.
>>
>>I did a ping on my ISP's SMTP mail server and while there was a 100%
>>failure rate on the packets, most probably due to some firewall setting,
>>I was given the IP address, in this case, 203.12.160.34
>>
>>I sent a test email to name at 203.12.160.34 but it bounced with the
>>following error;
>

> Graeme, I see one issue here that you would need to fix, assuming you
> are trying to send am email to someone other than yourself.
>
> You need to enter the IP address of their domain (or their domain's SMTP
> server), not the IP of your ISP's SMTP server.
>
> Or have I misunderstood your intent?

Hi Jeff, You've understood me corectly. I made a few phone calls
yesterday and discovered that the people who own the domain have
apparently failed to renew it. Its no longer a valid domain name.

Before I discovered that I thought that there -may- have been a DNS
failure and it -may- have been possible to address the mail to their IP
address bypassing the DNS. I was sending mail from my account to the
address name@[my ISP's SMTP IP address], not their ISP's SMTP IP
address, which I cannot obtain anyway. My MTA sent the mail OK but it
bounced back with the error I posted earlier.

I haven't achieved my objective, for obvious reasons, but I have learned
a lot thanks to everyone who helped me. Who said you cannot teach an old
dog new tricks?

Thank you to everybody.

Kind regards,

Graeme.