NIS install

Waldher, Travis R Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com
Wed Feb 22 17:07:19 UTC 2006

> _______________________________________

ypinit -s myserver is used to setup another machine as a NIS slave. (A second NIS server that is a slave of your master.)

If a machine is just a client, all you need to do is configure ypbind.

The reason that you are getting the error that the server is not running on your client is that ypserve hasn't been set to run at startup.  If the machine is truly a client, you don't want ypserv running.

The next problem you will have, on your master, if when you ran ypinit, you didn't specify any slave servers that machine will fail to connect to the master.