about nis

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Fri Feb 24 19:25:58 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 11:25:44AM -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On all machines, confirm that the domain name is set properly
> (just enter "domainname" and verify it).  On the master, make sure
> ypserv is running.
>
> Now, if the clients really are clients (and not slave servers), you
> simply need to do a couple of things:
>
> 1. Edit /etc/yp.conf on the CLIENTS and make sure there is a line such
> as: ypserver name-or-IP-address-of-master > > in it.
>
> 2. Edit the /etc/nsswitch.conf file on the CLIENTS and modify the lines
> for "passwd", "shadow" and "group" to include "nisplus nis":

> 3. Restart ypbind on the clients: service ypbind restart
>
> 4. Test the clients to make sure they're picking up the map you want:
> 	ypwhich -m

> That should do it.

Huh, Rick Stevens takes a $35 book, 400 pages long and reduces the
entire tome to four simple steps.

	Typical Rick..... :)

In other news O'Reilly publishing has asked a judge for an injunction
preventing Rick from responding to emails.......

speech recognition software may have been used to create this e-mail

Rumsfeld tells Bush, "3 Brazilian soldiers were killed in Iraq today."
  "Oh my Lord". says Bush. He sits with his head in his hands
for a long minute and then looks up and asks: "How many is a brazillion?

	            ba-da bing!

    (Thank you, I'll be here all week. Try the veal.)