about nis

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 24 19:25:44 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 14:16 -0600, Roldán wrote:
> i'm so sorry to have to ask again about nis configuration. the fact is
> that
> i can't get the o'relly's book, i can't afford it, i'm from cuba and i
> can't
> buy over internet i hope you know that
>
> any way i download some free literature about nis in orfer to know hot
> to set up and i do everithing step by step and nothing works, thaht's
> wy i wrote here searching for help
>
> i only have two machines for testing purposes one is the master and
> the other is the client, the master machine is named
> redes.digi.cupet.cu and the other is called overmind.digi.cupet.cu
> both have this entry in the /etc/sysconfig/network file:
> NISDOMAIN=nisnet
> and ypserv runs at boot time in the master also ypbind runs in the
> client
> i ran ypinit -m in the server and enter the name of the server
> (redes.digi.cupet.cu) when he ask me the names of the hosts that runs
> NIS servers,  perhaps i should put there the name of the nis domain or
> the name of the client or anything else but i couldn't find nothing
> that point me in the right direction
> in both machines the /etc/hosts files point to each one
> and in the client yp.conf file i put the line:
> domain nisnet server redes.digi.cupet.cu
> with all this done i still having the message not bound to server when
> i start the client
> what i do wrong?

On all machines, confirm that the domain name is set properly
(just enter "domainname" and verify it).  On the master, make sure
ypserv is running.

Now, if the clients really are clients (and not slave servers), you
simply need to do a couple of things:

1. Edit /etc/yp.conf on the CLIENTS and make sure there is a line such
as:

	ypserver name-or-IP-address-of-master

in it.

2. Edit the /etc/nsswitch.conf file on the CLIENTS and modify the lines
for "passwd", "shadow" and "group" to include "nisplus nis":

	passwd:	files nisplus nis
	shadow:	files nisplus nis
	group:	files nisplus nis

3. Restart ypbind on the clients:

	service ypbind restart

4. Test the clients to make sure they're picking up the map you want:

	ypwhich -m

That should do it.

-        Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.        -