Dual NIC cards - Need help

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Sun Feb 26 02:28:00 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 16:47 -0800, Bret Stern wrote:
> I have installed two NIC cards on a Dell Poweredge 1300.
>
> I'm routing port 80 through my firewall to my web server.
> These requests arrive via eth0.
>
> Eth1 is used to access a backend database via perl cgi
> scripts called on the host Apache httpd server.
>
> One card is on subnet 192.168.0.xx
> One card is on subnet 192.168.5.xx
>
> I can ping both networks. However, I cannot see any of
> the Samba and Windows 2000 servers on my network.

Can you ping the various machines in question?  Can you do a traceroute
and verify which interface they're listening on?

> My plan is to have perl scripts access the backend
> database.
>
> Any ideas on why I cannot see my internal network using
> the gnome Network explorer? Or is it a good thing not
> being able to see the internal network?

This is most commonly a route issue, but it could be a firewall or
iptables issue.  Could you send us the IP map of what you have and
possibly a better description of what you have set up (what's plugged
into each switch, etc.)

-    Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward getting   -
-    medicated for it.      -- Jim Evarts (http://www.TopFive.com)   -