no boot XP after FC4 (REPHRASING OF THE QUESTION)]

John Wirt j.wirt.112 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 9 07:17:13 UTC 2006

Bob (and Ian),

I checked further and the,

  grub-install /dev/sdXY

command installs Grub to the "boot directory" of the "root partition."
See http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=232 .  (note only
one "r" in terabyte). My understanding is that the root partition is the
one where Linux is installed.

But this is only when one is booting from the same Linux installation
that  one is reinstalling Grub for.

If one is booted to a Linux shell.  then the two commands that  should
be used are:

   a) when the /boot  directory is included in the /root partition,
which may be the 2nd partition
        on the 2nd disk:

         root (hd1,1)     (this tells Grub that /boot directory is on
the 2nd partition of
                                      the 2nd scsi disk --- i.e.,
/dev/sdb2 )
         setup (hd1,1)  (tells Grub to install boot code in the boot
sector of partition /dev/sdb2)

    b) when the /boot partition is separate from the /root partition.

         root (hd1,0)    (tells Grub that the /boot directory in the 1st
partition on /dev/sdb1

         setup (hd1,0)    (tells Grub to install the boot code to that
first partition on  /dev/sdb1

           -- or  the boot code can be installed to the second (or root)
partition.
              Then the command would be --

         setup (hd1, 1)

         The kb article on the Boot-it site recommends the second
alternative even if the
          /boot partition is separate from the the /root partition.

Because I want to boot to Linux from the 1st CD of RedHat Enterprise
Workstation v.3, this is my situation. So currently, I plan to follow b)
with the second option.

My first question is, does this make sense?

My second question is, how do I figure out whether the Linux installed
on my computer has the /boot partition separate from the /root partition
or in the root partition?

   --  Is the /boot partition the same thing as the "swap" partition?

   -- if not how do I need to tell Linux where the swap partition is?
Does it know since it is on the same disk that it was, even though the
drive number has changed?

Thanks for any further comments you have on these four issues.

John Wirt