no boot XP after FC4 (REPHRASING OF THE QUESTION)]

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 9 13:58:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 02:17:13AM -0500, John Wirt wrote:

> Bob (and Ian),
>
> I checked further and the,
>
>  grub-install /dev/sdXY
>
> command installs Grub to the "boot directory" of the "root partition."
> See http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=232 .  (note only
> one "r" in terabyte). My understanding is that the root partition is the
> one where Linux is installed.

Methinks TBU knows more about Windoze than Linux.  And Rick Stevens
knows a good deal more than I about Linux and SCSI.  I'll let him
weigh in.

> But this is only when one is booting from the same Linux installation
> that  one is reinstalling Grub for.
>
> If one is booted to a Linux shell.  then the two commands that  should
> be used are:
>
>   a) when the /boot  directory is included in the /root partition,
> which may be the 2nd partition
>        on the 2nd disk:
>
>         root (hd1,1)     (this tells Grub that /boot directory is on
> the 2nd partition of
>                                      the 2nd scsi disk --- i.e.,
> /dev/sdb2 )
>         setup (hd1,1)  (tells Grub to install boot code in the boot
> sector of partition /dev/sdb2)
>
>    b) when the /boot partition is separate from the /root partition.
>
>         root (hd1,0)    (tells Grub that the /boot directory in the 1st
> partition on /dev/sdb1
>
>         setup (hd1,0)    (tells Grub to install the boot code to that
> first partition on  /dev/sdb1
>
>           -- or  the boot code can be installed to the second (or root)
> partition.
>              Then the command would be --
>
>         setup (hd1, 1)
>
>         The kb article on the Boot-it site recommends the second
> alternative even if the
>          /boot partition is separate from the the /root partition.
>
> Because I want to boot to Linux from the 1st CD of RedHat Enterprise
> Workstation v.3, this is my situation. So currently, I plan to follow b)
> with the second option.
>
> My first question is, does this make sense?

Yes.

> My second question is, how do I figure out whether the Linux installed
> on my computer has the /boot partition separate from the /root partition
> or in the root partition?
>
>   --  Is the /boot partition the same thing as the "swap" partition?

Absolutely not.

>   -- if not how do I need to tell Linux where the swap partition is?
> Does it know since it is on the same disk that it was, even though the
> drive number has changed?

Here's the result of "fdisk -l" on one of the machines I admin:

Disk /dev/hda: 81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1               1          19      152586   83  Linux
/dev/hda2              20          38      152617+  83  Linux
/dev/hda3              39         282     1959930   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda4             283        9964    77770665    5  Extended
/dev/hda5             283        1256     7823623+  83  Linux
/dev/hda6            1257        2230     7823623+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7            2231        2353      987966   83  Linux
/dev/hda8            2354        2840     3911796   83  Linux
/dev/hda9            2841        3327     3911796   83  Linux
/dev/hda10           3328        3814     3911796   83  Linux
/dev/hda11           3815        4788     7823623+  83  Linux

See, /dev/hda3 is marked as partition type "Linux swap".

The applicable line from its /etc/fstab looks like this:

/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

My guess is that some /dev/sdax was defined as type swap.  That will
now be (probably) /dev/sdbx.  That designation will need to be changed
in /etc/fstab.

> Thanks for any further comments you have on these four issues.
>
> John Wirt

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace begins not at a Mideast table, but at a Mideast stable