Cannot install Fedora Core 4

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jan 17 19:22:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 19:55 -0600, Russell Golden wrote:
> *sigh* yes, i'm sure... when i boot RHL9 off the hard disk it boots fine.
> I'm using a laptop, there is no floppy drive.
> any boot option i use panics. when i use it on my tower, it boots, but
> then hangs and can't even get past loading /sbin/loader.
> starting to sound like fedora sucks...

Wait, wait, wait.  I'm getting confused here.  You say you have RHL9 on
that machine's hard drive, yet you installed FC4 on it and booting off
an FC4 CD in rescue mode gets a kernel panic.  I've never heard of a
rescue boot kernel panic, so I suspect you really aren't doing what you
think you are.  Don't take that as an insult, it's danged confusing at
times and I could be totally wrong in my assumptions.  Here's what I'd
like you to do:

Get into the BIOS of the machine.  Take the hard drive completely out of
the boot sequence, so the machine will only try to boot the CD.  Let it
boot either the first FC4 CD or the FC4 Rescue CD.  If it's the first
CD, then make sure you put in "linux rescue" at the "boot:" prompt.
Let's see if that works.  If it does, read on.

Here's another issue that may be causing problems.  If you indeed do
have RH9 and FC4 on the same hard drive, it's entirely possible that
the loader is trying to mount the WRONG root partition--especially if
you used filesystem labels when you built the thing.  If we successfully
get to the "#" in a rescue boot, you should take a look at the file
"/mnt/sysimage/etc/fstab".  If you see entries such as:

	LABEL="/"	/	ext3	defaults	1 1

then we may have an issue.  If you have two partitions that have labels
of "/", then the system may be trying to mount your RH9 "/" instead of
your FC4 "/" and yes, that will cause MONDO problems.  In that case,
you should do this command:

	# fdisk -l /dev/hda

and look at its output.  For each partition listed, you should:

	# e2label /dev/hdaN

replacing "N" with the partition number.  Find out which two have the
same "/" label.  Pick one and modify that /mnt/sysimage/etc/fstab file
and replace the 'LABEL="/"' with the actual partition name so the line
reads something like:

	/dev/hda2	/	ext3	defaults	1 1

Re-enable the boot for the hard disk and try a reboot.  If that doesn't
work, then try the rescue boot again and swap the partition name for the
other one labeled "/" and try again.

Note that if we do fix it this way and you have more than one Linux
partition (e.g. a separate "/usr" partition), we'll have to sort those
out as well.

To the other readers...this is one of the reasons I dislike using
filesystem labels instead of device names.  If you are only using a
single version of Linux on a given hard drive, they're fine.  As soon
as you try to have multiple versions, confusion reigns supreme.  If you
do want multiple Linux installations, PLEASE label the filesystems
appropriately, e.g. "/-FC4", "/usr-FC4".  That way, there's no confusion
as to what partition belongs to which OS.

> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 16:50 -0600, Russell Golden wrote:
> >

> >>that is the problem. it can't get that far. i get the "boot:" prompt,
> >>then when it tries to mount the root filesystem while booting the kernel
> >>off the CD, it says
> >>kernel panic - not syncing. VFS: cannot mount root filesystem on unknown
> >>block (8,3).
> >>the boot: prompt is the only prompt i can reach
> >>

> >You mean that entering "linux rescue" at the "boot:" prompt off the
> >CD panics?  Are you SURE you're booting off the CD?  Get into your
> >BIOS and make SURE that the CD is checked BEFORE the hard drive.
> >Ideally, you should set the BIOS to boot in this sequence:
> >
> >	floppy first
> >	CD/DVD second
> >	hard drive third
> >	network last

-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -