Remote Linux desktop?

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 20 15:13:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 06:43:56AM -0800, gerrynix wrote:
>   Hello all,
>
>   I have a client who needs to display a desktop from one Linux box to another on their Local Area Network. Which might be the best besr method?  Is there a VNC client for Linux?  Is rsh or ssh better?
>
>   MTIA for your info - comments.
>   --
>   Nix

Use the vnc RPM.  It has the client in it.  One recommendation: If the
serving machine is used by others or other tasks, turn off the screen
saver on the desktop on the machine that is serving vnc.  It's
unnecessary and sucks a lot CPU cycles.

You can (and arguably should) tunnel vnc through SSH if you need it
off-site.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace begins not at a Mideast table, but at a Mideast stable