Sharing Printer

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Mon Mar 6 02:38:36 UTC 2006

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:

> On Sun, March 5, 2006 4:59 pm, brad.mugleston at comcast.net said:
> > I've got SAMBA set up on my Linux computer and my son is over and
> > he needs to connet his XP notebook to the network to print on my
> > printer.
> >
> > XP is all messed up, it's nothing like anything I've played with
> > before and I can't seem to get it to even find my printer or any
> > of my shared drives.  I was able to figure out how to set up a
> > workgroup on his computer that matched the one on my Linux
> > machine (same as the other windows computers use).
> >
> > He is getting on the wireless network in the house and that part
> > works OK.
> >
> > Anyway, how does an XP connect to my Linux drives and printer.
>
> I think you have to setup the login name he uses on XP as a user on the
> Linux Samba server. Either that or the name of the XP Computer. You've got a
> good start with the workgroup name, but in my experience it's not necessary
> if you set the other part up. I apologize for not knowing whether it's the
> PC name or the login name. To see the syntax, however, type addsmbuser at #
> and see what it says.
>
> HTH
>
> Karl

Karl,

Thanks for the help but I can't figure it out - yet.  The command
addsmbuser didn't work but I found smbadduser which doesn't like
anything I put in.  The computer name is DFOPH071 (assigned from
the install I guess) but smbadduser DFOPH071 gives and error
looking for a different format.

He doesn't have to login onto his computer, it just boots and he
is there.  I'll try to do some more web searches - I had to
borrow his computer to run my tax software and now I can't
print it out.  8^(

Brad