Crontab issuing GET

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 20 18:48:21 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 09:20 -0800, Roger Harrell wrote:
> Ok, that worked. Now explain to me why doing it this way worked. It ends
> up placing a file in /etc/cron.d with the exact same permissions of the
> file I created manually.
>
> So the manual which states:
> " The cron daemon checks the etc/crontab file, the etc/cron.d/
> directory, and the /var/spool/cron directory every minute for any
> changes. If any changes are found, they are loaded into memory. Thus,
> the daemon does not need to be restarted if a crontab file is changed."
>
> Means that it picks up changes in /etc/cron.d to files that it's already
> aware of, but will not pick up new files?

That's correct.  cron caches the names of the files available when it
starts up and checks those.  If you add a file, it needs to be
restarted.

> -- Original --
> Try with crontab -e logging with your user ID and give
>
> 15 3 * * * /usr/bin/GET http://path
>
> Thanks
>
> Best regards
> Bala

-  You know the old saying--any technology sufficiently advanced is  -
-               indistinguishable from a Perl script                 -
-                                 --Programming Perl, 2nd Edition    -