Printing to printer on Windoze machine

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Tue Mar 21 17:38:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, March 21, 2006 9:41 am, Harold Hallikainen said:

>> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 05:42:49AM -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
>>> The next, in my long list of projects, is to be able to print from my
>>> FC4
>>> laptop to a Xerox 950 printer on a Windoze ME machine on the network. I
>>> set it up to emulate a Postscript printer following the instructions at
>>> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/heretrythis/hp3100/psemu9x.html . I am
>>> able
>>> to print to it as an Apple something or another from my wife's Windoze
>>> ME
>>> laptop on the network, so it appears to be properly emulating postscript
>>> and being shared.
>>>
>>> On my laptop, I go to http://localhost:631/ and try to set up the
>>> printer.
>>
>> Do I recall correctly that that is the web interface to CUPS admin?
>> If so, drop it like a hot potato.  I tried to use it when changed
>> printers and never got the printer to print right.  I even lodged a
>> bug report on CUPS.  Then I used "system-config-printer" to set it up
>> and all became sweetness and light.
>>
>>> I give the URI (which is where I think the problem is) as
>>> smb://192.168.1.5/psemu where psemu is what the printer is named on the
>>> Windoze machine (and how it shows up on my wife's laptop). When I try to
>>> print to it, I get "ERROR: Connection failed with error
>>> NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL".
>>>
>>> Finally, if I use Konqueror, I CAN see the shared directories and files
>>> at
>>> smb://192.168.1.5 .
>>>
>>> So... what am I doing wrong?
>>>
>>> THANKS!
>>>
>>> Harold
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
>

> OK, I'll give that a try! Does the URI for the printer look right? Or is
> there something more, perhaps, that needs to go between the IP address and
> the printer name (psemu)?

Hi Harold,

I think in the printer config program you need to put the printer as you
would on an smbclient line:  //printerhost/printer
or maybe that was  //printerhost/printer/queuename

At least those examples will get it started for you, right? My FC4 machine
is off at home and I run RH8.0 and RH9 at work so can't verify it.

Karl

> THANKS!
>
> Harold
>
> --
> FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---