FC4 don't detect any CD/DVD

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 8 17:08:09 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 16:39 +0200, Jordi Pallares wrote:
> Hy all,
>
> I install a Fedora Core4 using bootnet disc.
>
> After install don't found any of mine DVD. We have a pc with1 DVD reader
> and 1 DVD recorder and 1 SATA Hard disk.
> The bios dettect all ok (it work in a windows too) but the linux don't
> recognise its.
> We try to find insde dmesg but it don't tell anything about.

I find that rather difficult to believe.  By default, there will be some
symbolic links (/dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrecorder, /dev/dvd, /dev/dvdwriter
and so on) against the raw devices.  Assuming the raw devices are IDE,
then the devices are:

	/dev/hda	First IDE, primary drive
	/dev/hdb	First IDE, secondary drive
	/dev/hdc	Second IDE, primary drive
	/dev/hdd	Second IDE, secondary drive

Note that most of this is handled via udev and not a kernel probe as it
was in V2.4 kernels and may not show up in dmesg.

Another place to look is in /proc.  You should see entries in /proc/ide
in there for them.  For example:

	[root at golem ide]# ls /proc/ide
	ali  drivers  hda  hdc  ide0  ide1
	[root at golem ide]# cat /proc/ide/hdc/model
	TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R6012

So, I have a Toshiba DVD-ROM (actually a DVD+-RW) as /dev/hdc.

-  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
-                              rigged demo.                          -