Install fails during installation of rpmdb-redhat-4-0.20060803

Dan Hunter dmhunter at charter.net
Fri Oct 6 04:02:09 UTC 2006

It's not the media - you proved that by installing with that media on another system.
We know that the OS can be installed - you proved that.
If it's not software, that only leaves hardware.

If I was in your place, I would strip the system down to a single drive, a single CD reader, and a single memory chip.
Get rid of the rest.  I know this sound a bit like tossing the baby out with the bath water, but....

Try the install. If it still doesn't work --- well I'm stumped.

But if it does install, add one piece of hardware and try the install again.
Keep this up until you find the one - or more - pieces of hardware that are causing the problem.

What would be ideal for trouble shooting this problem would be an identical system that you >>CAN<< get the install to run on.

I'm guessing something at the system level is causing the problem.
Power supply, motherboard, or memory would be first on my list of suspects.

Keep going, I have no doubt that with some time and patience you will solve this problem.

Dan Hunter