playing video from abc.com?

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Fri Oct 6 18:49:00 UTC 2006

> On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 10:39, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
>> I'm running FC5 and have the flash player working. When I try to play
>> video from abc.com (such as program episodes), it seems to just sit
>> there
>> downloading from Adobe forever. Has anyone had any luck playing video
>> from
>> abc.com?
>>
>> THANKS!
>>
>> Harold
>
> The question I have  is why is it downloading from Adobe ? Shouldn't it
> be downloading/playing from abc.com ??
>
> Could it be a possible version incompatibility ? What browser are you
> playing it on ? Could it be looking for a flash player update at Adobe
> and never finding it ?
>
> Reason I mention this is because a lot of websites have switched to
> using Flash 8. Unfortunately there is no Flash 8 for Linux nor is there
> going to be. The most recent Flash version for Linux is Flash 7.
>
> Adobe claims they are going to be releasing a Flash 9 for Linux sometime
> in 2007. Still quite a long ways away.
>
> mylar

Thanks for the info! I imagine it's trying to do some sort of update, but
it just seems to sit there saying it's downloading from Adobe. I'll have
to watch the network activity to see if it ever gets done. I've generally
gone off and done other stuff, then, when I come back to that browser
window, it says it's done, but I still have no video, just a nice white
rectangle in the middle of the screen.

So, I was just wondering if anyone has gotten that to work. My wife wants
to see something she missed this week on ABC. It'd be nice to not have to
watch it on a clunky old Windoze machine (our newer machines all run
Fedora).

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com - Advertising