red hat user interface urgent

Calvin Webster cwebster at ec.rr.com
Mon Sep 11 17:55:54 UTC 2006

If "startx" brought up X-Windows, but you don't get it when you boot,
you may need to edit your "/etc/inittab" file.

One of the first lines (not counting remarks) should read like this:

id:5:initdefault:

Usually the last line determines when XDM (X Display Manager) runs. This
brings up a login after you boot and some other stuff. It should look
like this:

x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

If, however, "startx" didn't bring up X-Windows, you will need to
install the X-Window System and at least one desktop environment. You
can do this by booting the installation CD and selecting an "Upgrade".
Leave everything else they way you initially installed it, except when
it comes time to select package groups, Select the "X Windows System"
and (most use Gnome) "Gnome Desktop Environment", and any other software
you want that's listed.

Once it's been upgraded, you'll reboot and get a graphical login. Setup
some user accounts and use those to do your work, not the root account.
Once you have an X-Windows system to use, you can upgrade packages with
the package management tool.

[Applications]->[System Settings]->[Add/Remove Applications]

	or

Type at a shell prompt: system-config-packages

To upgrade existing packages you should be using "up2date" with Red Hat
Network if you have a subscription.

--Cal Webster