red hat user interface urgent

Waldher, Travis R Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com
Tue Sep 12 15:01:32 UTC 2006

It is possible that his support team is either not installing the X
interface on the machines, or if he has access to the server itself they
aren't allowing X to start on the console.

We don't run "X" on our server consoles for reliability reasons.  We've
had XWindows up and die on it's own in the past, in the process causing
the machine to not boot.  (At least I couldn't find any admins to claim
that they changed any X related files) The simple response was, after
fixing the server, just bring up our servers in runtime level 3.
Afterall, who needs a GUI on a server console?

Just saying that what they said, while patently false for the operating
system, may be accurate for how they configured their environment.

Travis