403 error

Nair, Murlidharan T mnair at iusb.edu
Mon Sep 18 19:35:44 UTC 2006

________________________________

From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com on behalf of Johan Lithander
Sent: Mon 9/18/2006 1:47 PM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Cc: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: 403 error

> I am getting the following error while trying getting a virtualHost up and
> running.
>
> Forbidden
>

> You don't have permission to access / on this server.
>
> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an
> ErrorDocument to handle the request.
>
> My main server is running fine www.bioinformatics.iusb.edu but
> splice.bioinformatics.iusb.edu which is a virtual host gives the above
> error. Anyone familier with this one. Greatly appreciate your help.
>
> Thanks../Murli

Do You have SELinux enabled (getenforce) ?
If that's the case, verify that the content files (html) is set to the
correct "domain" (ls -Z). if not set the domain for the files using the
chcon command, i.e. chcon --reference=/var/www/html [content files].

Or simply turn SElinux off (IMO not recommended).

/J

How do I check if SELinux is enabled?

Here is the output of my ls -Z

[root at bioinformatics webservice]# ls -Z splicehtml
-rwxr-xr-x  root     root     root:object_r:file_t             index.html

Its failing when its trying to access this file. In your example above what does --reference=/var/www/html mean?

Is the above set correct ?

Here is a little snippet of my httpd.conf file let me if I have everything correct in there

 Virtual hosts
#

# Virtual host Default Virtual Host
NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>

        ServerName bioinformatics.iusb.edu
        VirtualDocumentRoot /var/www/html
        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"
        ErrorLog "/var/log/httpd/error_log"
        ServerSignature email
        DirectoryIndex  index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml
        <Directory "/">
        Options FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None

#############################

</Directory>

<Directory "/var/www/html">
        Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Allow from all
        Order allow,deny
</Directory>

<Directory "/var/www/icons">
        Options Indexes MultiViews
        AllowOverride None
        Allow from all
        Order allow,deny
</Directory>

<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
        Options ExecCGI
        AllowOverride None
        Allow from all
        Order allow,deny
</Directory>
#############################
        LogLevel  warn
#       HostNameLookups off

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName splice.bioinformatics.iusb.edu
    VirtualDocumentRoot /mnt/webservice/splicehtml
    ScriptAlias /cgi/ "/mnt/webservice/splicecgi-bin/"
    ErrorLog "/var/log/httpd/error_log"
    DirectoryIndex  index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml

<Directory "/mnt/webservice/splicehtml">
        Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Allow from all
        Order allow,deny
</Directory>

<Directory "/var/www/icons">
        Options Indexes MultiViews
        AllowOverride None
        Allow from all
        Order allow,deny
</Directory>

<Directory "/mnt/webservice/splicecgi-bin">
        Options ExecCGI
        AllowOverride None
        Allow from all
        Order allow,deny