service named failed

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Sep 28 17:20:30 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 17:36 +0400, A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru wrote:
> Are there any error messages from named in syslog (or named log file)?
> It seems that GUI control for named uses rndc for communicating with
> named and, of course, can not connect to non-running named to sent the
> command (even a start command). Try to start named using "service named
> start" or its startup script in /etc/rc.d directly. If named would still
> refuse to start, it would write error messages to syslog.

That would be "/etc/rc.d/init.d/named start".

Also note that if you're trying to control a remote named, rndc uses TCP
and UDP port 953, so that would have to be open on your firewall.  This
doesn't hold true if you're trying to manipulate named on localhost.

BTW, we prefer bottom-posting on this list, Alexey.

-  Animal testing is futile.  They always get nervous and give the   -
-                             wrong answers                          -