mysql DataDir

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Fri Sep 29 13:07:30 UTC 2006

[mailto:redhat-install-list-
> bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Steve Rieger
> Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 1:10 AM
> To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
> Subject: Re: mysql DataDir
>
> Nair, Murlidharan T wrote:
> > I am trying to change the data directory to point to an alternate
> location and I am getting the following error.
> >
> > 060926 15:47:15 [Warning] Can't create test file
> /mnt/sqlhome/data/bioinformatics.lower-test
> > /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't change dir to '/mnt/sqlhome/data/'
(Errcode:
> 13)
> > 060926 15:47:15 [ERROR] Aborting
> >

> check permissions, must be owned by mysql_user

You should note that the permissions should be checked not only on the
last directory in the path (/mnt/sqlhome/data/) but also on all
intermediate directories - mysql_user should have the execution right on
them. If you are using symlinks in the path it is recommended to use
'namei' command to see the actual list of directories which permissions
will be checked during access to your destination directory.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux
http://www.brainbench.com