NTP

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Dec 4 19:31:50 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 19:30 +0200, Yazan Albakheit wrote:
> Dear ,
>

>    Can you Help me in configuring the NTP between two nodes running
> RHEL_AS_V4_U5  .
>

>    I Have   two Server (A,B)   I want server B  to take its time from
> server A  only.

The easiest way is to use system-config-date or redhat-config-date.
When the GUI comes up, go to the "Network Time Protocol" tab, check
the "Enable Network Time Protocol" box and put add the "A" machine in
the NTP Servers box.

If you want to do it the hard way, then edit /etc/ntp.conf.  Delete all
lines that start with the word "server", then add one that specifies
your machine:

	server a.yourdomain.com (domain based)
	server www.xxx.yyy.zzz (using only an IP address)

You should also delete any lines that begin "restrict" and contain the
old NTP servers' names and add a line for your machine:

    restrict a.yourdomain.com mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap
noquery

(that last bit should all be on one line).

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
- Real Time, adj.: Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only -
-                        occurs there and then                       -