network installation ( dhcp problem)

Alok Pandey alok.rhct at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 11:19:05 UTC 2007

HI Ray,

I get your point but unfortunately  i have  no idea about how to
configure switch and also it's not under my control.
Can you put some point in step , how to check this switches. also

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> Anaconda still uses 'pump', which I definitely believe has some bugs.  There
> are situations where dhclient works fine, but pump fails on our network.

Are you saying that during installation  time the dhcp request is made
by PUMP and after when the machine get installed , it 's by dhclient . ??
Is their any way to customize the anaconda installer , so that it can
use  dhclient instead of using pump.?

> What type of switch are you plugging into (if any)?  Might it have Spanning
> Tree enabled on the port?  This can cause a delay before the port comes up,
> and DHCP clients can time out before the port is truly active.
>

> You can either, disable Spanning Tree, turn on Port Fast mode or try using the
> "nicdelay=XX" boot parameter where XX is a value in seconds that will "pause"
> hopefully giving you extra seconds to wait while Spanning Tree calcuations are
> being done.

What be the max value of XX.
> Easy way to test if this is the problem is to plug your Ethernet cable that
> normally would run from your switch to your computer into a hub or "dumb"
> (unmanaged switch), and then go from that hub/switch to your computer.  If
> spanning tree is to blame, you should get a DHCP IP without problem.

I  will try this , hope it  work.
> Disregard if you're not in an environment where you're using managed switches
> at all. :)
>

> Ray

What if its not be a switch problem.?? :-(
Then were do i look around for fault.? O:-)

Plz. go through the attachment for the details of dhcp configuration.

Thanks for you time RAY :-)