network installation ( dhcp problem)

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Tue Mar 27 16:25:24 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 04:49:05PM +0530, Alok Pandey wrote:

> HI Ray,
>

> I get your point but unfortunately  i have  no idea about how to
> configure switch and also it's not under my control.
> Can you put some point in step , how to check this switches. also

Do you at least know what type of switch you're connecting to?  See if you
can find out and ask whoever manages them if Spanning Tree and/or Port Fast is
enabled on the port you are using for your server.

> >Anaconda still uses 'pump', which I definitely believe has some bugs.
> >There are situations where dhclient works fine, but pump fails on our
> >network.
> >
> Are you saying that during installation  time the dhcp request is made
> by PUMP and after when the machine get installed , it 's by dhclient . ??
> Is their any way to customize the anaconda installer , so that it can
> use  dhclient instead of using pump.?

Correct.  anaconda uses pump, and once the system setup is done, ISC's
dhclient is used.  I wish dhclient was used by anaconda. :)

> >You can either, disable Spanning Tree, turn on Port Fast mode or try using
> >the "nicdelay=XX" boot parameter where XX is a value in seconds that will
> >"pause" hopefully giving you extra seconds to wait while Spanning Tree
> >calcuations are being done.
> >

> What be the max value of XX.

I'm not sure.  Probably very high.  You probably wouldn't need to set it more
than 60 seconds.. but I have gone higher when testing.

> What if its not be a switch problem.?? :-(
> Then were do i look around for fault.? O:-)

If it's not a switch problem, hopefully someone else can give you some
assistance then. :)  Easy to eliminate the switch as an issue though (by
sticking a dumb hub or something between your server and your switch), so may
as well try it.

Ray